Broadway Limited 4978 Union Pacific Challenger 4-6-6-4 with coal tender Paragon 3 DC/DCC Sound & Smoke HO Scale Trains
- Typically ships the next business day.
- Calculated at Checkout
Broadway Limited 4978 Union Pacific Challenger 4-6-6-4 with coal tender #3942, Black and Graphite, Paragon 3 DC/DCC Sound & Smoke HO Scale Trains. New in the original box.
Union Pacific Challengers were a type of simple articulated 4-6-6-4 steam locomotive built by the American Locomotive Company for the Union Pacific. 105 of these locomotives were built between 1936 and 1943. The Challengers were about 122 ft (37 m) long and weighed 284,800 kg. Primarily in freight service, they operated over most of the Union Pacific system. A few were assigned to passenger trains operating through mountain territory to California and Oregon. The locomotives were built specifically for Union Pacific and much of the experience gained later went into the design of the famous Big Boy.
The name Challenger was given to steam locomotives with a 4-6-6-4 wheel arrangement. This means that they have four wheels in the leading pilot truck, which helps guide the locomotive into curves, two sets of six driving wheels, and finally four trailing wheels, which support the rear of the engine and its massive firebox. Each set of six driving wheels is driven by two steam cylinders. In essence, the result is two engines under one boiler. The Union Pacific Railroad sponsored development of this type to meet the need for higher speeds in main-line service. Historically, articulated locomotives had been limited to slow speeds by factors inherent in their design. The technical breakthroughs achieved with the Challenger enabled the carrier to develop the Big Boy with the same speed expectations. Speeds in excess of 60 M.P.H., while unheard-of on other railroads using articulated steam locomotives, became commonplace on the Union Pacific.
Industry-Leading SOUND Features:
- Operates in DC & DCC (use DCMaster for DC Sound)
- Record & Play Operation - Records and plays back sounds and movements once or repeatedly for automatic operation
- 16-bit Sample Rate for exceptional high frequency sound clarity
- Playback Whistle for multiple whistle lengths and patterns
- Choice of 3 selectable Whistles
- Alternate Whistle / Horn where applicable for locomotive with air horn and steam whistle - both the main whistle and alternate can be easily played
- Adjustable bell ringing interval for faster or slower bell
- Numerous user-mappable functions with available keys
- Johnson Bar or Power Reverse Sound at Direction Change
- Passenger Station Ambient Sounds - Controlled with Function Key
- Freight Yard related radio chatter - Controlled with Function Key
- Lumber Yard Ambient Sounds - Controlled with Function Key
- Farm related radio chatter - Controlled with Function Key
- Crew Radio Communications - Controlled with Function Key
- Maintenance Yard related radio chatter - Controlled with Function Key
- Demo Mode for display and demonstrations
- Grade Crossing Signal - Controlled with Function Key
- Simple Programming with Integral DCC Decoder
- Automatic Forward / Reverse Signal - When activated, stopping triggers and stop whistle toot. When moving forward from a stopped position, toots twice. When moving in reverse, toots three times.
- Chuff sound intensity varies with load
- Individually adjustable sound volumes for most effects
. If you have any questions about this passenger car or any other items,
or call 1-800-786-1888
You may return most new, unopened items within 30 days of delivery for a full refund. We'll also pay the return shipping costs if the return is a result of our error (you received an incorrect or defective item, etc.).
You should expect to receive your refund within four weeks of giving your package to the return shipper, however, in many cases you will receive a refund more quickly. This time period includes the transit time for us to receive your return from the shipper (5 to 10 business days), the time it takes us to process your return once we receive it (3 to 5 business days), and the time it takes your bank to process our refund request (5 to 10 business days).
If you need to return an item, simply login to your account, view the order using the "Complete Orders" link under the My Account menu and click the Return Item(s) button. We'll notify you via e-mail of your refund once we've received and processed the returned item.
We can ship to virtually any address in the world. Note that there are restrictions on some products, and some products cannot be shipped to international destinations.
When you place an order, we will estimate shipping and delivery dates for you based on the availability of your items and the shipping options you choose. Depending on the shipping provider you choose, shipping date estimates may appear on the shipping quotes page.
Please also note that the shipping rates for many items we sell are weight-based. The weight of any such item can be found on its detail page. To reflect the policies of the shipping companies we use, all weights will be rounded up to the next full pound.